|Approved||October 2, 2000|
|Revised||October 7, 2020|
- Blue Ridge Community College is committed to responsible energy and water management in support of our sustainability policy.In order to meet these goals the following guidelines have been established.
- Operate energy consuming equipment only when needed.
- Maintain equipment and facilities in a condition which promotes efficient operation.
- Replace or retrofit energy-consuming systems consistent with a life cycle cost analysis or other appropriate basis, and secure professional advice as needed.
- Ensure that energy efficient design is built into contracts for design services and into the design/construction of all renovations, additions and new buildings.
- Room temperatures − during operating hours, thermostats will be set and maintained to provide for cooling energy to lower room temperatures to 75-76 degrees Fahrenheit. When heating is used, thermostats shall be set and maintained to raise the room temperature to 68-69 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Portable heaters − the use of portable heaters is prohibited except when room temperatures are below 65 degrees. This will be determined by Director of Facilities.
- Water heaters − temperature will be set at an efficient operating temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lighting − reduce lighting loads by turning off lights in all rooms not in use or when no classes are in session.
- Computers - computers will be turned off at the end of every day unless an employee's job duties require overnight use of their computer.
- For equipment where ENERGY STAR© certification is available, the College will make procuring ENERGY STAR© rated products a requirement if the additional cost is less than or equal to the resulting energy savings in a reasonable time. All purchased items must meet all North Carolina State Procurement Guidelines.
- Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to play a role in promoting efficient, reduced energy and water use.
- Any appliance brought onto campus by an employee should be ENERGY STAR© rated.
Blue Ridge Community College community will strive to make office space, classrooms or shared spaces more energy and water efficient. It is the responsibility of the Director of Facilities or designee to see that these procedures are followed.